Habitat for Humanity was founded on Christian principles with a mission to eliminate substandard housing and homelessness worldwide. Habitat for Humanity embraces volunteers, homebuyers and donors of all faiths and creeds.
We strive to make adequate, affordable shelter a matter of conscience and action.
Since its inception in 1990, our San Gabriel Valley affiliate has depended on the religious community — composed of all faith traditions — to put into action the theology of the hammer. As Habitat’s founder, Millard Fuller, explained, “Everyone can use the hammer as an instrument to manifest God’s love. We may disagree on all sorts of other things … but we can agree on the idea of building homes with God’s people in need, and in doing so using biblical economics: no profit and no interest.”
GET YOUR CONGREGATION INVOLVED!
- For those living in sub-standard housing locally and around the world
- For Habitat homeowner families, volunteers and partners working together to provide safe, decent, affordable homes
- For reforms in education, economic policy and law to improve the lives of the poor in our society
- Work on-site – hammering, framing, painting, landscaping, or making repairs for low-income seniors
- Join a committee or the Board of Directors
- Offer your professional skills pro-bono
- Provide hospitality or lunches on Saturdays
INVOLVE YOUR CONGREGATION
- Encourage individual parishioners, small groups, and the entire church to sponsor a build at SGV Habitat
- Invite a Habitat representative to speak at a service or
- group meeting
- Connect your Youth Pastor with Youth Build team, SGV
- Habitat’s youth leadership program for ages 5-25
- Include SGV Habitat in your Alternative Gift Fair or Ministry Fair to raise funds and recruit volunteers to benefit SGV Habitat
UTILIZE OUR RESTORE
- Donate building supplies, electronics, furniture, or household fixtures
- Purchase Habitat shirts, hats, pins, and other merchandise
- Host a rummage sale
- Make a personal gift by check or online at sgvhabitat.org
- Collect a general offering for a current build
- Donate a car, truck, van, or boat – call 877-277-4344 toll free or go to www.habitat.org/carsforhomes and designate your gift to San Gabriel Valley Habitat!
- Tell your friends, colleagues, and family
- Post a link to our website on your own site or newsletter
- Connect with us online on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram
- Contact city and state officials to get more Habitat builds in your city
For more information on how your congregation can get involved, please contact Nancy Delira Faith Relations Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (626) 803-2486.